Monday, October 18, 2010

Comfort Food: Bread Pudding

Boy, this is the time of year for comfort food! I've been wanting to make bread pudding for a week. I got a loaf of day-old English muffin bread at the store on Saturday for this purpose. I laid the slices out earlier today and let them dry, turning them over once. I suppose you could dry them in the oven, but this was so much easier and it works just as well.

I use the recipe straight out of my packing-tape-held-together Betty Crocker Cookbook:

(I tripled this)
four bread slices, dried and cut into cubes
four eggs, beaten
2 c. milk
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. vanilla
1/3 c. sugar
(optional: raisins, currants, etc. - you would sprinkle these on top of the bread cubes and pour the custard over all.)


Mix the milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla with a mixer in a large bowl (REALLY large if you tripled it like I did...). Place all of the bread cubes in a baking dish (I used a 9 x 13 for my recipe and had a little custard left over) and pour the custard mixture over them. Using a spoon (or whatever) pat the bread cubes down gently into the custard so that they're all saturated. It will only rise a little bit so don't worry if it gets fairly close to the top of the dish. Bake for about 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. It's done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. You may need closer to 60 minutes.

(Notice Father took a bit out of the top left corner...)

While you can eat this cold (and if you're eating leftovers...if there are any...it will be) I like it best warm with a glass of milk on the side.


8 comments:

  1. Oh that looks YUMMY!! It's been so long since we've made it...you're giving me ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, looks good. Just right for a chilly day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... I've been eating a lot of bread pudding lately (in cafeterias, oddly enough) and I was just thinking that I wish I could make it at home! Thanks! Someday I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elissa,

    I sure wish I could drop some off at your room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks yammy :)



    bread pudding with quince :)

    http://savalaura.blogspot.com/2010/10/budinca-de-gutui.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting make bread pudding FOREVER... this would be perfect for me right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I literally had you in mind when I made this. It's lightly sweet, but not SWEET, soft, not "eggy", not over-spiced. It's technically in the category of 'bland food' but it's really good! If you eat it at closish to body temperature I think you wouldn't have any problem keeping it down. Lots of protein!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irina, that recipe looks delicious! I ran it through google translate and copied it to my recipe file. I'll have to do some metric converting, but it looks worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!