Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Humor

You know, humor is a really personal thing. It's kind of like perfume: unless you really know the person you can't go out and buy perfume for them. Well, so maybe it's not quite like perfume, but I think you get my point.

Obviously, not everyone has the same sense of humor. In fact (and I know this is hard to believe) I have actually met people who had no sense of humor. These are hard people to be around. Even in the same family you get wide variations in what people find funny. One of my brothers liked Blackadder in high school. I liked Monty Python. Close. But we had siblings who hated both and didn't know why they were funny. You see?

I don't have any friends with a poor or non-existent sense of humor. I admit it, I'm choosy. If you can't see the humor in my weird jokes then I can't extend the hand of friendship. Now, I can be nice and accommodating to myriad other people, but you people with the great senses of humor - you rock. Actually, I married the person with the world's greatest sense of humor. Thank heavens there's someone who finds my jokes funny. (He feels the same way.)

Below is an example of a person with a great (and a bit zany) sense of humor struggling with a dim-witted, extraordinarily literal person with basically NO sense of humor. If you're not familiar with this delightful little Britcom, at the end of every show, the vicar tells her sexton a new joke. The sexton never gets it. Until...


Anyone else feel like a loner in the humor department?

12 comments:

  1. Yes. And thank you for the clip; I hadn't seen that one before.

    My husband says he married me for comic relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blessed to have a brother with a wonderful manic sense of humor (and he & SIL are huge Vicar of Dibley fans!) I've found that my sense of humor has changed through the years -- as a young person, never appreciated certain kinds of humor like the Marx Brothers or Monty Python. Maybe as you get older things in general seem more absurd. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humor is what gets me through the difficulties of life... especially with my health, and the boys' autism. It helps if you can laugh. :) And I married a man who can joke about almost anything!!

    ~Nonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother's side of the family has quite a unique sense of humor - which I have always enjoyed, even though I am more reserved like my Father's family. My son and I tend to like the same sort of humor - the Marx Brothers, Fawlty Towers, any sort of word play or puns, a lot of "British humor" which my husband does not find funny at all.

    My FAVORITE Vicar of Dibley bit is the scene with the sexton sharing her opinion about "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carlyn - I actually posted that video along with the dialogue a little over a year ago! I love it too. http://prayingwithmyfeet.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-cant-believe-its-not-butterdibley.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just been inspired to write a post on my blog and included that scene! We must be kindred spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your sense of humor - I cut my teeth on Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and the like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love Fawty Towers! We were SHOCKED to discover that Father's spritual father likes it too. You would never, ever suspect it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW, Father starts saying, "Oh I *know*," whenever I'm on the phone for more than fifteen minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love that show...very funny clip :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. i started laughing as soon as I saw the words "vicar of dibley". We watched every episode and the specials too.

    Now what is this Fawty Towers you speak of? Must check it out immediately.e

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's hysterical!

    One of our favorite shows is "It Crowd". My husband is a computer programmer, so it makes it extra funny to us. I just love British comedies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!