Preheat oven to 350.
- 1 whole fryer, cooked and the meat removed - or - 4 to 5 chicken breasts, cooked
- 2 bunches fresh broccoli, cut into spears or florets - or - 2 bags frozen broccoli spears or florets
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
In two baking pans or large casseroles layer the broccoli, then the chicken, chopped into bite-size pieces. Mix the next six ingredients well in a medium-sized bowl and spread over the chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Serve alone or over rice.
This is a good way to use leftover chicken, just decrease the recipe as needed. Whole fryers are an economical way to cook chicken. I suggest buying two and cooking both at the same time. Reserve one and after it cools pick the meat off and either refrigerate or freeze for later recipes.