Thursday, March 21, 2013

Questions Answered #4 (etc.)

10. How about non-fiction [that you keep returning to as an adult]?

Gee, ready for a list?

Well, first of all, I accidentally included Kon Tiki under fiction, but it's not! Delightful story. I recommend it.

The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin.......................................sea faring, history
Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdal......................................................sea faring, history, archaeology
A Speck on the Sea by William H. Longyard............................sea faring, history
A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols.................................sea faring, single-handed
Fastnet, Force 10 by John Rousmaniere..................................sea faring, storm
Close to the Wind by Pete Goss..............................................sea faring, single-handed
The Ship and the Storm by Jim Carrier...................................sea faring, hurricane
A World Turned Over by Lorian Hemingway...........................tornado, history
Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938 by R. A Scotti.....hurricane, history
Roar of the Heavens by Stefan Bechtel...................................hurricane, history
Storm of the Century: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 by Willie Drye
...............................................................................................hurricane, history
The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin.................................blizzard, history
The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson.........................................epidemiology, history
Krakatoa by Simon Winchester...............................................volcano, history, geography, paleontology
Failure is not an Option by Gene Kranz.................................space program, history
Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis....................................................Scrabble, psychology
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss....................................grammar, humor

This is not exhaustive, this is merely what I felt like carrying over to the computer. (:

[ETA: LOL, I titled this with "etc." and didn't add any "etc."]

So, it turns out I had a cold, not allergies, although I suspect I have new allergies and then caught a cold. We'll see how I do as the cold goes away. Still sick but I can breathe better now. I was unable to attend the first two nights of the Canon, sadly, but was able to go last night and should be there tonight. It finally feels like Lent! The music is so lovely.

Finished my project for a sick friend; now to get it in the mail to her. (Hopefully without extra germs...)

I think I'll list all the categories/interests that my non-fiction books cover, even if I don't list all the titles.

Sea faring (obviously)
All areas of meteorology including forecasting, history, regional storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards
Paleontology, archaeology, vulcanology and history
Medicine and epidemiology (especially historical)
History
U.S. space program (especially history)
Astronomy
Evolution (specifically debunking)
Grammar and language
Biography (to an extent)




6 comments:

  1. cool! so neat to see the interests of others! :) lots of adventure in these books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Krakatoa; stunning. You might like Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage. Lewis & Clark, very thorough and readable. Also, one or the other kids or you might like Lindbergh's The Spririt of St. Louis. My father made me read it in 4th grade after he got tired of the Sue Barton, Student Nurse books he saw me with. I can still remember Lindy flying just above the waves in the moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh, forgot - YOU will probably really like The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. A significant portion deals with the status of medical education and public health just before WWI. Engrossing though a bit of a slog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LV: I do have The Great Influenza and several other medical histories. One of these days it might be fun to do what I did as a child and document my library. (: I have many other books I would recommend as excellent (such as Endurance) but just didn't grab all of them to stick on the list. Hm. Maybe I should remedy that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read a couple on your list ("Children's Blizzard" and "Eats Shoots and Leaves" ) but several sound interesting.

    I agree, you can definitely see your interests in this list, as you could from my non-fiction list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool list. Astonishing to me how your list would coincide with my own!

    Patrick O'Brian? Lucky Jack Aubrey? You might like Stephen Jay Gould for yet one more perspective on evolution?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!