Thursday, August 15, 2013

Transcendence

We don't have cable so I don't watch this show (or any other), but I saw this linked on Life Site News and decided to watch it. Well, wow.


I want to point out a few things.

I don't know what else was sung/danced to/whatever on the show that evening, but I am willing to put good money on saying that this very short piece blew them all away. First, good singing (rather than the garbage that is tragically prevalent) reaches everyone and, of all things, note the transcendence of the Latin prayer! Even Howard Stern, easily the most profane public persona ever, is completely moved by their rendition of  Webber's Pie Jesu.

Put this next to the infamous guitar masses (yep, my childhood), campfire-sing-a-long type music, "contemporary" worship services, etc., that are supposed to bring in and enthrall "the young people", and you can see where the eye-rolling reactions come from. "Young people" (and those of all other ages) do not like being condescended to with dumbed-down, clown music. We were all created in the image and likeness of God and our souls long for transcendence.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

6 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. I gave me chills. There is definitely something to be said for "church music". I love how you've used the word "transcendence" here. Fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.
    Beautiful.
    Clearly our society actually loves what it thinks it does not need.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone sent this to me a few weeks ago, it is amazing! I love the shocked looks on everyones faces as they begin to sing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding. I have always loved the Vivaldi setting best, but over the past few years have learned to appreciate this Andrew Lloyd Webber one too. These guys are great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!