Sunday, October 20, 2013

Services for preborn infants approved by the Holy Synod of the OCA

 Good news from the Holy Synod!!
[October 18, 2013  Syosset, NY] The Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America concluded its fall session on Thursday, October 17, 2013. His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon, chaired the session, which opened two days earlier.
According to Archpriest Eric G. Tosi, OCA Secretary, in addition to hearing the reports of the Chancellor, Secretary and Treasurer, the members of the Holy Synod took the following actions and decisions.
* * *
The texts and order of two memorial services for pre-born infants—one that may be celebrated shortly after death, the other a funeral service—were approved for liturgical use upon the recommendation of His Eminence, Archbishop Benjamin.

10 comments:

  1. Glory be to God! There is certainly a great need for these services. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do the Orthodox do for infants found in dumpsters, like abortion mills? Shouldn't we be giving these babies funerals and burying them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliana, I agree that they should have burial services, but I'm not aware of any Orthodox groups who have found bags of discarded babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm referring to the work Priests for Life does. When abortion mills are closed down Fr Frank Pavone has sometimes gotten access to the mills and their dumpsters, retrieved the babies and given them Catholic funerals. Also there's the lady out west who has the Garden of Angels cemetery. Whenever the city informs her that a dead baby has been found she and
    donors arrange for the baby to have a funeral and burial. I've never seen Orthodox do any of this. Thus, my question about the funeral service then is is it required that the parents be Orthodox or even be known?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juliana, I haven't seen the funeral service yet so I can't answer that question. As soon as it is released I'll be putting something up here and on Lost Innocents.

    Officially (at least in this country) there have been no funeral services for ANY miscarried or stillborn (or aborted) infants sanctioned by the Orthodox Church, regardless of the status of the parents. This is a massive step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mat. Anna, please forgive me if my questions seemed crass and ungrateful for the progress that is being made. I've lost little ones, too. So, of course, I agree with you that this is a massive step in the right direction. Forgive me! I appreciate you posting this article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juliana: no, dear, I'm not offended. I find it frustrating as well. It's been so long that families have had to suffer alone that even this step seems huge to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where would someone obtain copies of these newly approved services?

    Are they available on the internet somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon, I'm not sure where these services can be obtained. The only mention I've seen online is of their existence and approval, but not the services themselves. As soon as I see them available somewhere I will be linking to them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!