Monday, October 28, 2013

Unexpected, um, "adventure"

Various things have been making their way into the house over the past few weeks. Gifts of diapers, clothes, sippy cups, etc. I must say, this is the first time I've ever received, three days before the baby's arrival, a box of...

...mutton.

I've never cooked mutton before, never actually eaten it (although I liked lamb, the few times I've had it). I've never even seen it. Well, now I have! It looks like...meat.

I asked Father what cuts were in it and he said, "various". We looked in the box and everything is labeled exactly the same (regardless of the shape of the cut): "lamb leg, trotters off". They are hermetically sealed and have a USDA stamp on the wrapping. (Only mildly reassuring, depending on how much you trust the USDA).

[Hilarious interruption here: someone else just came by, not knowing the first person had come by, and delivered more...mutton!! Fortunately not as much as the first delivery.]

So here I am, instead of dusting and straightening and wiping down door frames, googling "how to cook mutton and/or lamb", looking at diagrams of lamb cuts online, and generally panicking. We just weighed the box: 42 pounds. Lord have mercy. My mother-in-law will be here in two days to find the freezer full of frozen lamb and more defrosting in the fridge.

This is where I should be asking our Lebanese and Greek neighbors all over to a massive cookout in our back yard...except we don't have any. Nor do we have a local butcher who can grind it up for us.

At least I still have my sense of humor.

Right?

8 comments:

  1. that's funny... but hey, well, what a blessing that you will have lots of food! Praying for you daily!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am a meat lover, so that sounds like an awesome package to me! It would probably be easy to put in a crock pot?
    http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-leg-of-lamb-113015

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have mint jelly for the lamb!! Btw, that is a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few of the cuts without massive bones in them MAY fit in the crock pot. Otherwise, they look like things you would put on a spit, a la "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift! I have never thought of sending it...before;)) but now, hmmm.

    Cook it just like roast beef, flavored with garlic, lemon and of course tsatsiki (yogurt/garlic/cucumber).

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a Greek, I have to say I'm a little jealous. If you can roast the meat, it's easy to prepare the Greek way. Poke holes in the meat with the tip of a knife and insert whole cloves of garlic. Rub the flesh with olive oil, salt and pepper, and lemon. We usually serve it with lemon and olive oil roasted potato wedges.

    Lamb in Greek is arni. A web search for arni should uncover some traditional treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have any chunks of shoulder you can make some soup: just toss them in a pot with a whole peeled onion, several cloves of garlic, as water to cover, and plenty of salt and pepper and a bit of nutmeg. Bring to a boil and simmer until the meat is cooked then add a couple packages of frozen spinach. Serve over rice. Yummy and super easy. It's a big favorite at our house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!