I was tickled pink to get them, peeling paint and all. They're very solid and comfortable.
But, of course, I knew they needed work. I only put it off for almost two years...
Here they are!
I finished scraping and repainting early this week. I found some material in the attic and already had some plastic sheeting to cover the seats with. I bought some foam seat cushions and some upholstery tacks at the store. Yesterday evening I finished the last one.
They look SO MUCH better.
And, lest you be thinking I'm superwoman or something, let me show you a close up of the edge. Some of this is lack of skill, but these are also the WORST upholstery tacks I have EVER used. At least a 30% failure rate.
In any event, even if the details don't look great, the whole impression is nice and they're very comfortable and pretty now. :)