Sunday, May 18, 2014

Baby dress from a girl's button-down shirt: part 1

 There was a perfectly good, in lovely condition, button-down shirt of Flopsy's that she was offering for the thrift store bag. I took one look at it and saw a baby dress trying to get out. I'd seen those photos of men's dress shirts turned into baby dresses and figured I could do something with it.

The other day I had a chance to start on it. Here's the original shirt (size 10):


I started by cutting out the rough shape I figured I needed for the body of the dress.


Then I decided that cuffed elbow sleeves would be nice, so I cut off the ends of the sleeves for them.


I started basting with black thread. This is the front of the collar.


There was a tuck in the back and I decided to keep it. I stitched it down so I wouldn't lose it.


I did a little it of sleeve work yesterday during a quiet moment but didn't take pictures. I still hadn't figured out exactly what the end result would look like.

This evening I did some more work on it and here are some pictures of the rough shape of the dress. It's partially basted and mostly pinned together.



The original shirt had tabs inside the sleeves so they could be buttoned up when cuffed. I cut off the tabs and the buttons. This evening I realized I could use them to take up the waist of the dress.


The cuffs are smaller now. I saved the buttons so when I'm done I can sew them all in the right places.


Still a lot of work to do, but it's coming along!


1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! It is so satisfying to re-work something nice and give it another life, and it demands a special, maybe higher level of creativity to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!