Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Yarn Along: Shroud for Gabriel

 As most of you know, when I lost Innocent and Andrew I made blankets for them. I make blankets for all of my babies and it doesn't matter whether they're living or departed. Because Gabriel will be two weeks smaller and thus that much more fragile, I felt he needed to be (for the most part) in a glass jar of water instead of swaddled in a blanket. So that he too would have some sort of a blanket, I knitted this shroud (or bag) to put the jar in. I crocheted a little cross to put on it. This is what he will be buried in. I also quickly sewed a tiny flannel blanket that you can see in a few of the pictures. I wanted to have something pretty for him to rest on so I could take photographs of him.

(Ravelry link)




I completed everything last Friday in a great hurry. I had a few hours of contractions and I thought that labor might be imminent. Unfortunately it wasn't, and I'm still waiting. Time is running out on the deadline the doctor has given me. I have until next week to go into labor and deliver on my own before I have to go in the hospital for an induction. I want to avoid that for a host of reasons, so please pray that labor starts soon.*

*[Update: My sweet baby was born the night I wrote this post.]

(Just to round out last week's yarn along post, here is the completed baby coat after it had been blocked and buttons sewn on:)

(Ravelry link)



One of the more interesting books I read this week was Admiral Richard Byrd's "Alone", describing the winter months he spent alone at a base in Antarctica. Quite a gripping tale.




8 comments:

  1. How beautiful. Still praying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matushka, it is beautiful. We are prayerfully waiting with you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. how very dear, lovely and truly beautiful the little shroud is.... praying for you very much... candles lit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is all beautifully and thoughtfully made, with a Momma's touch. Prayers continue.

    I will check out the book. We have several intersecting interests - this is another one.

    I just ordered Gold Medal Physics: The Science of Sports by Goff for my kids. He's been on the news with the introduction of a new soccer ball at the World Cup. It looks very readable.

    I'm always on the hunt for reading material that will particularly interest boys. I also have students that need more practice reading engaging texts with graphs and equations and oh - technical stuff. I always have my eyes peeled.

    So - I get the book when they are done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So relieved to see you're back. I hope that you won't have to have an induction. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a very sweet shroud, and pretty little jar. Praying you are doing well today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful act for love for your sweet Gabriel. You are a wonderful mama for ALL your children. With you in prayer...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!