Sunday, August 3, 2014

40 Days


I can't quite bring myself to affix an exclamation point to the title of this post as I have the previous three "milestone" posts. This is not a birthday or anniversary, but the 40th day after Gabriel's birth.

When a living baby is born he or she is churched along with his or her mother on the 40th day. Generally this is in conjunction with the baptism. After someone dies, memorial services are celebrated on the 3rd day (this is usually the burial), 6th day, 9th day and 40th day after the death. Technically Gabriel's 40th day would be the 40th day after his death, not birth, but I spent 19 of those days waiting for him to be born after he died. I just wasn't ready yet. Since the Church doesn't really have much to say about memorial services for unborn and unbaptized infants, I felt able to claim today as the 40th day.

There is a long history of the 40 day period in the Church and before it. Just looking at the life of Christ we can see this: He was presented in the temple 40 days after His birth (the Meeting of Christ, February 2), He fasted in the wilderness for 40 days, He was on earth 40 days after His death and resurrection before ascending into heaven (Holy Ascension).

Gabriel was just a tiny baby, only 11 weeks gestation. He was only seen by a few people, only known to a few more. But he mattered. My sweet baby.


14 comments:

  1. Memory Eternal! May God comfort you. You are still in our prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tears* Yes, he mattered. I have two brothers in heaven and a 3rd sibling of which we don't know the gender. Who knows, I may have a sister. :) (I have a younger brother on this earth as well) I pray to my brothers to intercede for their nephews. My oldest son is named after my older brother, my youngest has his middle name (which we forgot about until 24hrs after the twins were born). May God comfort you and all grieving mothers, left without a child to hold. Memory Eternal, precious Gabriel. You are loved by so many!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memory eternal to Gabriel, forever and always. Love to you, as ever, and our prayers go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May his memory be eternal. He absolutely matters -- to all of us who knew of him, to you, and most importantly, to His heavenly Father, Who loves him better than any of us can. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memory eternal, Gabriel. I hope these 40 days have been restful for you, and that God grant you some small comforts. You are ever in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, the 40 day length is wise.

      Delete
  6. Memory Eternal - he definitely matters. Love and prayers always

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you in this hard time. I am coming up to the date that my sweet baby James was supposed to have been born. What a comfort that our babies' short lives mattered and that they are with Jesus and that we can have confidence that we will meet them one day. I am still so very grateful to you for all your help through your website and email when I was losing James. So sorry that you have had to endure this grief yet again. Much love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. May the memory of James be eternal!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!