Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Yarn Along: Shop Items

Here are some items from the shop (some of which you have seen before). Not all are knitted or crocheted, but I'm throwing them in this post anyway!












One of the books I got from the library last week was In the Land of White Death by Valerian Albanov. It was finally translated into English and published in 2001 although the original was published in Russian in 1917. It was unknown among devotees of polar literature until 1997 when someone discovered a French edition published in 1928. It is a very gripping tale of survival in the Arctic after a ship was imprisoned in ice and the crew stranded for almost a year and a half. The navigator, Albanov, decided the only chance of survival was to set out from the ship and try to reach land. The captain disagreed. Albanov, along with thirteen other crew members, made kayaks and sledges from pieces of the ship to carry their supplies. They set out on a 90 day journey, but not all of them survived. Albanov was one who did.

"There was only one personal item I was taking with me: an icon of Saint Nicholas the Miracle-worker."





12 comments:

  1. these are very lovely!!! :) well done! and neat book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, it was a very neat book!

      Delete
  2. How adorable! I'm starting to wish I had a dollhouse now... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had one all to myself, but they all belong to the children. I content myself with making things for them. ONE DAY I'll have my own...

      Delete
  3. Lovely, Matushka. When is the shop opening (or did I miss the opening)? Katayoun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I still haven't opened it? LOL, I change the name about every other day or so. I can't seem to settle on something ever since the "perfect" name was already taken.

      Delete
  4. Those parrot throw pillows are incredible! Did you embroider then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness no! I cut the squares out of an upholstery fabric sample!

      Delete
  5. Timmo insists the potholders are waffles. I scrolled past: "Bye-bye, waffles!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!