Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Yarn Along: Bear, Blossoms and Books

 I added this sweet teddy bear to the shop today:



It comes with a cardigan, if desired.



I had so much fun making them!

I also made this custom order of some layered, crocheted flowers to attach to hair clips. The request was for neutral colors, but I could have made a rainbow from my large stash. :)







The last few days I've spent rereading all of the Mysterious Benedict Society books (yes, for children, but excellent) and delving into the stack of library books I picked up a few days ago. I do recommend those children's books - they're wonderful for children who are voracious readers at an early age - nice and thick, great writing - nothing objectionable. Very imaginative and funny. (There are only two of the four pictured here.)


What are you reading and creating?


8 comments:

  1. love those knits, that bear is just darling as are the flowers! those books sound so lovely! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. A month ago my son declare Mysterious Benedict Society to be his favorite books. I decided i should actually read them. I am only halfway through the first (I got sidetracked by some grown up books ) but i can see why he likes them.
    Also, I LOVE the bear. If my baby wasnt so totally indifferent to all stuffed animals, i would get it for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to try to work with the pattern to see if I can't make a smaller one. This one is 19 inches tall! I had no idea when I started the pattern that he would be so big!

      Delete
  3. Oh your bear is just adorable! The way he is sitting so relaxed and heavy - I want a cuddle straight away :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is a BIG, squashy bear! My 15-month-old immediately put her arms out for him and gave him a big squeeze. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of these books I'll have to check them out. It has always seemed to me that a great book, even if regarded as children's or youth literature, should be able to appeal to readers of all ages. I still love the Winnie the Pooh books and I regard the Velveteen Rabbit as one of the greatest books of all time. Its message of how it's love that makes one real is one we all need to learn. I think I need to add it to my lenten reading list and reflect once again on its message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this post years ago (so there are probably books I would add to it now). I definitely agree that if a children's book is too stupid for an adult to enjoy, then it's too stupid for a child. http://prayingwithmyfeet.blogspot.com/2009/07/childrens-books-everyone-should-read.html Madeleine L'Engle said, "If it's not good enough for adults, it's not good enough for children. If a book that is going to be marketed for children does not interest me, a grownup, then I am dishonoring the children for whom the book is intended, and I am dishonoring books. And words.”

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!