Friday, February 20, 2015

Yarn Along: Doll Sweater and War of the Worlds

 During the past few days I worked on another doll sweater for the shop, this one with owl buttons. (c: I've been waiting a long time to use these buttons.





Instead of knitting buttonholes, this time I experimented with knotting button loops.





One of the books I picked up at the thrift store last week was War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. If you can believe it, I've never read it. I have no idea why not. Anyway, it looked like a great opportunity for 50 cents! I'm several chapters in and enjoying it immensely. I always read the scholarly introductions to classic works (yes, this makes me a card-carrying nerd) and I was dismayed to read of Wells' rampant racism and favor toward eugenics. Reading the Wikipedia entry on Wells, I was presented with fairly different information. So it just goes to show that you have to read with discernment. Regardless of what Wells thought, I'm enjoying the book. (c:

(Not my copy! Photo of first edition.)

What are you creating and reading?

4 comments:

  1. The sweater ' s adorable. I love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the buttons are so cute. :) I kept hoping they would match something and finally they worked!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!