Friday, October 23, 2015

All creatures great and...

...small.


Our cats strike again. This time Smokey caught a baby squirrel. He looks to be about 5 weeks old and was actually pretty responsive despite some minor bites. Sadly, if he doesn't have antibiotics in 24 hours he'll likely perish from overwhelming infection. We were unsuccessful finding help this evening but I'll start calling around in the morning to see if any vets can provide antibiotics. There are no wildlife rehabilitators in the area but I raised some baby squirrels during my senior year in high school so I have some experience.

I ran out to the local pet supply store and got some dog's milk which I fed him (watered down) with a syringe. He had about 5 cc - all he could hold, I suspect. I cleaned him up and put some antibiotic ointment on the three wounds before putting him to bed in some fleece scraps next to a warm rice bag in a shoe box. Miss Moppet dearly wants to hold him but I haven't let her touch him. I have emphasized to the children that he is NOT a pet and will likely die within the next 24-48 hours if not given antibiotics. At least in the meantime we can keep him comfortable, fed and warm.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Lord, have mercy on this tiny creature of Yours! In wisdom You have made them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!