Saturday, October 24, 2015

Baby Squirrel Update




Well, we're still hanging in there. He's eaten twice today, pretty well each time, and his urine is lighter in color so it looks like we're past the dehydration. The local animal hospital said that they didn't have any antibiotics for squirrels (not too shocking) and suggested washing any cuts and putting antibiotic ointment on them. I did that yesterday and once today so far, so I guess I'm doing what I can. They also felt obligated to pass along the information that it's illegal to have squirrels. Yes, I know that, but with no wildlife rehabilitators in the area, the fact that this is a squirrel, not a bald eagle, and the additional fact that we're living in rural south Mississippi, no one cares in the least. Our personal vet's office referred to them as "vermin" (to which Father heartily agreed).

Further updates as events warrant!




* * * * * * * * *
Sunday morning update: I checked on him and he had died in the night. Not shocking really. Yesterday evening I had had a feeling he was quieter and fighting infection. I sat up a bit and held him to make sure he was thoroughly warmed after eating before putting him in his nest. We did all we could.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I'm glad he died warm and fed. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the kids didn't take it too badly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!